Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Nationals: 1, Mets: 7, Me: sad

I just read that the Washington Nationals lost their home opener. I was saddened by this bit of news, the Nationals are sort of like my second home team. It was in RFK stadium, after all, that I saw my first professional baseball game.

It made me get all sentimental for DC, especially so because it's almost one year now since my internship ended. I've made progress as a journalist and photographer since then, I've made some good accomplishments and the like but nothing has ever felt as exciting as covering things there. It's just this sad thing I have to ignore to keep up my reporting because there's no way to get rid of it.

My life plans are going through a nice game of musical chairs these days with my college plans getting tossed about on a daily basis. I don't know if I'll be graduating May 2007 or in December that year, it all depends on what happens this summer. I keep thinking about what I want to do and I'm getting really uncertain about it all. I miss DC, but there are other things that appeal to me. Right now I find I like very much the idea of going out to a small-town newspaper somewhere in the Midwest, maybe eastern Colorado, and working for 5-10 years on being the best reporter and photographer I can. I say this because I might go to a paper that is so small I'm responsible for both the stories and the pictures that run each issue. I find I like that.

And I also find my heart yearning for the West, for some reason. Colorado. Montana. Wyoming. Somewhere where there's space, room to live and breath and where things aren't so damned expensive I can't earn a living. That'd be nice, being a simple, small-town reporter. I think I'd like that very much.

I miss the concrete jungle, that place has a special spot in my memory. But sometimes my heart yearns for the West.

We'll see how this turns out.

And I'll be following Nationals baseball, and the Royals as well, this year. Much more closely than I have in the past. I've noticed lately that news of how the teams have been doing has seemed much more appealing than in the past.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home