Friday, March 31, 2006

Milking the Cows

My sister is getting confirmed in the Catholic Church Saturday. I have been hired to photograph the event. Not coverage, but portraits of kids with the bishop and priest.

I'm glad to be able to do this for my church and family, I really am. But I can't wait to get it over. Lately I've been getting hired to shoot a lot of "hurry up and get it done" portrait sessions for youth events and teams. I set up a location that is convenient but not good, and I have the subjects file through and photograph them one after another after another in as little time as possible.

It's not about making art or capturing a moment, it's more like pushing cows down the chute.

I can't really talk with the subjects or motivate them. They just put on a hollow smile, stare at my lens and wait for it to end.

I'm going to do the job, no doubt about it. I'll probably do more like it in the future. I'll smile and work hard and make them happy. But I need something else to bring the spark back, cause this kind of work is putting out the flame.

I need to get started on this Small-Town Snapshot project. I need to get started on it fast.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And there lays the problem that... as a photographer, you will have a lot of that sort of work. And as long as you can balance that work with the kind of work you want to do, you should be fine. Plus, at least the pictures will be in focus and centered if you do them.... (can we say crappy dances in high school?)
~Katie

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home