Friday, March 25, 2005

Since everyone else is weighing in on Terri Schiavo...

I look at what's happening in Florida now, -- the protests, the media frenzy, the family ripping itself apart, and the raging tempers and foul rancor developing nationwide over the issue -- and I become afraid of even letting myself feel something over it.

But what kind of writer would I be for doing that?

When I stand among the facts of the case, I find myself standing in a great field, with the white "River of life" on one side and the black "Mountain of death" on the other.

There is no point between the two where I can find enough contrast to determine what is right and what is wrong. It's all grey, and I can find no answer.

In fact, I don't think I should find an answer, and neither should you.

This is a matter for Terri's family to decide, not us. I have no business making this decision, and neither do you. This is a family issue, not a national one.

So would everyone please stop yelling and screaming and complaining. You have no right to make this decision, neither do I.

So let's try to quiet down a little. There are real decisions that need to be made.

Tonight, I will pray that Terri's true desire, whatever it may be in reality, is granted. Please feel welcome to join me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home