Wednesday, March 23, 2005

I'm going to go get fitted for my straightjacket...

I reached my breaking point on a story today trying to write about a speech given by Gen. Richard Myers, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, at this convention I went to yesterday and today in hopes of finding something interesting to write about.

He said near the beginning of the speech that it would be about "Ensuring Access," then he never came close to it whatsoever while jumping from concept to concept. In fact, there was no topic to this speech. It was just so the convention-goers in attendance could brag about hearing the chairman of the Joint Chiefs speak just to them. Then there was a press conference afterwards where a bunch of reporters had questions about breaking news in Iraq that I had no idea about. No one asked about his speech, and I doubt anyone cared.

I listened to the tape 3-4 times and never could I find a thing that was worth mentioning.

So I didn't write a story on it, and while I'm disappointed in myself I'm even more disappointed with the convention, which had abso-freaking-lutely nothing worth writing a news story on. I mean, my God, there were publicists there who would just go, "Um, yeah, we make engines for the Navy" as if they're embarrassed about it.

I'll work hard on a story, but I'm not going to do both sides of a freaking interview. A great deal of money could've been saved by just having everyone mail each other their business cards.

Oh, the story below was written last week, I just forgot to post it. Enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home