Sunday, May 29, 2005

Food that makes you want to start hugging people at random

I barbecued today. And I really mean, I barbecued. I did not grill, I did not simply apply heat to meat.

I barbecued pork ribs and a whole chicken on our double-decker smoker. Just let that sink in for a moment.

Now let it sink in for another.

To be truthful, it was a team effort with my mother, who deserves equal credit for the masterpieces of meat.

This morning we both did seasoning and meat preparation, I started the charcoal, assembled the smoker, got it hot and cooking, and we placed the flesh above the slow flames and let the smoke soak into them all day. On two occasions, we added more fuel to keep the flavored heat coming.

Almost nine hours later, we pulled them off, put potatoes and corn on the cob on the table, and the whole family dug in. I had the only beer left in the house.

The meat was perfect, and we had to handle it gently for it would fall straight off the bone from vibrations that weren't strong enough to bother nitroglyceren.

Now, as I digest this feast, I feel happy enough to hug just about anyone, and smear them with sauce in the process.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home