Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Yeah, I just covered a nationally-broadcasted speech by a senior senator. What did you do today?

Holy crap, I think I'm shaking.

I had the distinct honor of covering a speech by Sen. Edward M."Ted" Kennedy at the National Press Club today. If you were watching him speak on C-SPAN today, that was what I was covering.

The NPC is located on the 13th and 14th floors of a building located at the SE corner of 14 and F in NW DC. It was an interesting walk from the bureau to the club, especially when a homeless man felt he should tell me he's doing all right. Six times. Don't ask.

I got there, and went on up. For a senator's speech, there was very little telling me how to get to the ballroom where it was to take place. As in, nothing. I ambled about in my fine black suit and eventually found it. That was easy, what was hard was figuring out who I needed to talk to before going in so I wouldn't get thrown out. I asked around a bit and soon enought I discovered the press desk, where I signed my name and picked up my copy of the prepared speech, which was embargoed until 1:00PM, meaning I couldn't publish anything from it until 1:00 PM, when the speech started. You know the cool thing about press credentials? They get you into cool things like speeches by Senators at clubs that cost $500 a year for membership.

The speech was cool, I had to put all my political influences aside to listen to it as it was most "progressive." I just had to be apathetic and skeptical at the same time, which can be hard at times. I think.

Whatever the case, it just went out on the wire a few minutes ago, and who knows who will pick up my story.

Tomorrow's plans: arrange an interview with Chef Alton Brown of "Good Eats" and "Iron Chef: America." He'll be in DC on the 18th for a book signing and interview because Scripps owns Food Network.

Then: work on something else.


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay for Logan!!!
Heart, Jocelyn

9:29 PM  
Blogger Gus said...

I love "Good Eats"! That will be a fun interview. :)

5:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so freakin' jealous. I love Alton Brown. Hey, if you want, you could get an autograph for me. If you want. But, that may be a little inappropriate... It's your call.

11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home