Sunday, January 09, 2005

From there to here: Part II

After I dropped my stuff off at the Apartment and hung up all my pretty clothes, Scott and I went out on the town to find the Scripps Howard Bureau and a few other things. We walked through where the Inaugural will be in a week or so, and I saw the White House for the first time. I couldn't believe it at first, it was so brilliantly white and looked nothing like the picture I've seen in which it has so many strong shadows on its features. We also saw the inaugural podium President Bush will be speaking from, which looked piss-poor although I will admit it wasn't finished yet.

We found the bureau, and we walked by the World Bank, which while a beautiful building it is surrounded by concrete barriers that are practicically permanent because of the protests they are meant to deal with. Scott also showed me the law school, which put everything Kansas State has to shame. And by shame, I mean Kansas State should be crying in the corner begging for its life. Such technologey, such cleanliness, such...such... hey, it was awesome.

We parted ways at the subway, he went back to his apartment which was 45 minutes away, and I went to mine, which was 10 minutes away, in opposite directions on the line.

I unpacked the rest of my stuff and collapsed onto my bed and slept at around 5 pm (eastern time from here on) and that was that, for a while. Sometime later I got a phone call from Kate, a fellow intern with Scripps, and I answered. I had to ask her later what I said, because I was in such a stupor I still don't know what I said. Neither did Kate, who said she just heard a lot of mumbling through a Kansas accent. I just hope I wasn't vulgar or mean or anything.

Later on I showered and made myself presentable and Kate, Lauren (another intern) and I went to a local shop for some necessities, and came back and talked for a few hours.

This morning I went to mass, and came home, and I discovered I could get online with my laptop. Things are looking up.

2 Comments:

Blogger Gus said...

Hey kiddo,
Sorry I missed you earlier...glad you're there and safe. :)

4:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to hear you're settling in well. Talked to your Dad yesterday and he seemed very happy and proud of you! Have a good time, Jocelyn

6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home