Monday, June 05, 2006

A toast to capitalism.

I got some good news today: Sony is going to be announcing their new line of digital SLRS.

They've got a new body and several new lenses, the most interesting of which, to me, is their 300mm 2.8 telephoto. There are no confirmed prices yet, but I don't care so much about what they're charging, just that they're selling these products.

I'm not going to be buying any of their stuff, I just hope this gives Canon enough cause to drop their prices on some of their lenses so I can afford them. Right now there are two big-time Japanese Camera Companies, Canon and Nikon. Minolta used to be big too, but they didn't adapt quickly enough to the digital age and were left behind Sony bought Konica Minolta's camera line earlier this year (they'd merged, if memory serves, in 2003).

But now Sony is looking for a piece of the pie, so Canon and Nikon will have a third camera line to compete with. Competition fosters better products at lower prices, and the consumer (read: me) winds up winning.

I would like to buy a Canon 300mm 2.8L IS USM and a 24-70 2.8L USM to improve my kit, but they aren't cheap. Hopefully this news will get Canon to offer me a better deal.

Cheers to you Sony, I hope you sell tons of your cameras. Just not to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home