Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Digital Retrospective

The Quicktake 150. Posted by Picasa


The first time I used a digital camera was on my eigth-grade class's trip to St. Louis. I was given the job of making the slideshow of the trip for later on, so I was handed a pair of Apple Quicktake 150's to carry in my backpack and use on the trip by Gordon Schmidt, the media director at my grade school's library. He never told me they were worth a few hundred apiece, he just trusted me.

He set each one so that it would get 16 images and that would be it. I didn't know much about digital cameras at the time, so out of fear of ruining them I asked airport security not to put them through the x-Ray scanners or metal detectors. (pre 9/11 was nice)

We got back and I handed them back to Mr. Schmidt, he uploaded them and I spent quite a few afternoons staying after to work on the show. In the end, it went over well. My first endeavor with documentation of an event with digital imaging was a success. Not once did I think it would ever be useful in real life.

I thought of this today while reading this piece of history on the NC 2000. It made me look back to the tiny moments that were the hidden beginnings of what may become a career in digital photojournalism for me.

There's also the Sony Mavica I used in High School working for the Trailblazer, the official school paper. It recorded up to Four 1.3 MP images onto a single 3.5" floppy, and that was it.

After that, there's a big leap to the 20D now, and I must say I'm a bit sentimental about it all. Neither the Quicktake or the Mavica had any ergonomics, both had atrocious shutter-delays, and neither took to0 many pictures. Neither took too big of pictures, either.

But still, it's nice to see your own history.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aah the good ole days of the 8th grade trip to St. Louis. Man, that kind of seems like it was just yesterday. And now we're in college. That makes me feel old. :P
~Katie

5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home