Tuesday, July 12, 2005

The best laid plans...

Last night, after processing and editing my pictures from the two games I'd covered earlier that day, I tried to backup my pictures on my iPod, just to be safe.

The download went ok for a little bit, then stopped itself, saying that files had disappeared from where they were supposed to be. I was tired, it was late, and my good ones were safely uploading to photoshelter, so I didn't worry about it.

Fast forward to this afternoon. I'm surfing the sportsshooter boards, and apperently there was some interesting news: my 2GB 80x compactflash card had been recalled due to issues with several Canon cameras, including my 20D. The issue is this: they have a slight tendency to just forget data from time to time.

So I've filled the online forms out, and am expecting further instructions on how to mail them my memory card. At the same time, I bought a brand-new 1 GB Lexar card, making sure it was a different series first of course, and it will be here Thursday or Friday. The Lexar folks told me I'll have my card back within a week of them recieving it to fix its firmware (software on the card that governs how it sorts and stores data).

Then, just after this all happened, a nice thunderstorm came in, knocked over a huge ole tree two blocks from here, taking out the electricity, internet, TV, and telephone for our home. Naturally, I had been getting ready to do a bunch of work for my business online at the time.

Several hours later, I drove by the scene of the newly-christened firewood, and noticed the trucks were leaving. I came home, and the power came on. We rejoiced and celebrated, cheering as we reset all the clocks.

Then the power went back out again. I can only theorize that somewhere there was a Westar Energy employee standing next to a switch and laughing his ass off.

A few minutes later, and it was back again. I got online, and now, I have work to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home