Monday, January 31, 2005

When homeless people grope...

Today we (the interns) went to the National Press Club to hear the speech of NY Attorney General Eliot Spitzer. It was fun.

But on the way there, this homeless lady stood in the middle of the sidewalk as I was walking towards her and stared at me.

I moved around in the group so I wouldn't walk next to her, but with an extra few feet between us.

So she reached out and touched my right shoulder and started screaming something about "Gabriel" as I walked on by.

I don't know what she wanted, what she saw, or what she was doing. Nor do I care, so don't ask.

And people wonder why I've supported concealed-carry laws in the past.

Then again, that would've theoretically given her access to a gun. Crap.

Oh well, back to work.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ms.Seven Supa Sized said...

How about a thought...a number of homeless people suffer from mental illness. Fortunately for myslef, I came into contact with a elderly woman who is now homeless. Social security does not provide much. It's interesting because this lady had a Ph.D in library science. At one point she was able to support herself and has most definitely fallen on hard times. It appears things are much harder for her after suffering from a mental ilness...a result of being homeless and a result of not being able to afford sufficient medical treatment.

11:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

stupid capitalism...i don't know why we like it so much, when it causes so much disparity.
heart, your newly-red friend (Jocelyn).

1:36 PM  
Blogger Logan C. Adams said...

I beleive in compassion. I believe in kindness.

But when people start staring at me from a distance, reach out at me physically without introducing themselves, and then start screaming, it takes all I have not to react physically.

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home