Sunday, June 24, 2007

My Day off

Today was a weird day. I had set aside this morning as a time to do some furniture and grocery shopping. I've been sleeping on an air mattress since I moved up here with the intent of buying a real bed at some point, and that point was supposed to come today.

I visited two furniture stores in downtown Jamestown. The first place irritated the hell out of me. The guy kept showing me expensive queen-sized beds and such because I'm tall, when the truth is all I really want is a twin bed. I always have trouble sleeping in anything bigger than that, all that room just makes me restless.

But hep kept showing me giant beds and never picking up the hint that I wasn't interested. The real humdinger was when he asked about my "wife or girlfriend," and how much room she'd want. I told him "my girlfriend doesn't take up any space at all, if you get my meaning." He didn't get my meaning, he thought that meant I shove her to the edge of the bed. Then when I left, he called out "Hey, you should come back again some time with your wife!"

I don't wear any rings. This man was an idiot. Our conversation left me with two burning questions:

1. Have I moved to a place where, like Mormon communities, all people are expected to be married young?
2. What kind of jackass would pick out a new bed without his wife?

At the second store, the saleswoman had the smarts to ask if I had a significant other before making suggestions about how I live my personal life. I tried out a few of their display beds but didn't really like any of them. Maybe I just felt awkward laying down in the store, even though she encouraged me to try them out, but none of the beds at either store really suited me. Hell, I really like the air mattress I'm using. It's worlds more comfortable than any bed I've had in the past year. So I decided to hold off.

I did spot a small upholstered rocker, the kind that's good for watching TV and gaming, in their clearance section that I liked. I picked that up quick. Lesson to people looking to sell things for a living: don't make bad assumptions of potential customers.

I also picked up a small side table kit at Wal-Mart (don't laugh) to turn into a charging station and place for me to keep the contents of my pockets when I'm at home (wallet, sunglasses, etc.). I put a surge protector/power strip inside with all the "brick" chargers and fed the wires up to the top. I also put my modem in it and my WiFi on it so I've gotten rid of a lot of loose wires in my den. Very spiffy, I must say.

My conversation with that dumbass furniture dealer got me thinking about things, though. Relationships. Materialism. Desire. Needs. That sort of stuff.

Why should I fill my apartment with things I don't want, let alone need?
Why should I keep trying to date again when I know I really don't want a girlfriend?
Why should I seek out friends in a town I have yet to really know?

Truth is, I shouldn't. I'm going to enjoy the bed that cost me $40 but is better on my back than any $500 bed has ever been. I'm going to make friends if I meet people
I'd like to be my friends. If I meet a girl worth dating, I'll ask her out.

Maybe I'm just grumpy from the weather turning hot, maybe this is just crap that's been bugging me for a long time. I don't know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home