Friday, April 28, 2006

The Free Press shall write again.

There were a pair of editors with nervous faces outside the newsroom today as I arrived around 1:30. They said they were sorry for what had happened, and they understood if I was angry.

This made me nervous as I had been out of contact all morning doing interviews and had no damned idea what they were talking about. I kept as calm as I could manage and asked what had happened. They told me: Almost all the newspapers on campus, copies of the Collegian with a story on the front page I spent four weeks working on, had been stolen that morning.

I was too shocked to speak for a moment, then I muttered a plural curse word I can not say here because my grandparents read this blog. Let's just say it rhymes with "brotherchuckers."

I said it again. Louder. Again. Louder.

And then I took the Lord's name in vain so loud people heard it over at Seaton Hall, about 150 yards from me. I hadn't broken the third commandment in years. I need to go to confession tomorrow now.

I went into the newsroom and started looking at the page and while it's pretty apparent what happened, I can't say here until we have proof.

I was mad. I still am. My left eye is twitching involuntarily as I type this.

I went to the Cat's Den to ask if they would let us post one of our few copies of the paper in their windows. They said no, but pointed to a large recycling bin and said they were in there. They were right. The copies of the Collegian in that bin were clean, still stacked together even, about three feet high. I carried all I could back to the newsroom and put it down on the desk, and with a volunteer went back out to take the rest and put them out for distribution.

Later on, I took a stack of 200 or so and started going to different offices and the Library and handing them out. No one was going to suppress the press.

All I'll say further is that whoever did this will soon learn that you just don't mess with people who buy ink by the bucket.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The one Friday in eternity I don't go to campus and something happens. The guys sort of mentioned it last night, but I let it slide by cause they were drunk and I figured they were just talking to make noise. So the newspaper was stolen? Why? What was so important that was written inside and someone didn't want anyone to see?
~Katie

10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home