Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Hi. I'm Logan, and I'm a Luddite.

I've said it before: I want a typewriter. Not just any typewriter, but a standard typewriter; one that is powered solely by the person pushing the keys.

When I said such a thing, my former high school librarian wondered aloud if I had lost my mind.

Once, when I was little, my mom had this little grey portable typewriter in a plastic case that I would tak out and screw around with from time to time.

It was awesome. I loved the feel of each key as I applied pressure to it and watch typebar after typebar extend and hit the paper and platen, then retract. It was art in motion.

Today was a day for typewriters. First, I tried to get the IBM Selectric II at the J-School library to work on a scholarship application I needed to fill out. It was too advanced for me, and the experience ended badly.

Later on, once I'd completed my classwork, I went on a Typewriter Hunt. My goal was to see if I could find myself an Underwood portable typewriter in good condition that I could buy in person and save on shipping via eBay.

I decided on Underwood because they're reputedly dependable and were extremely common back in the day. Many of my favorite writers, including Garrison Keillor, used Underwoods. I visited every Pawn, thrift, and antique shop I could find.

The people at the Salvation Army burst into laughter when I told them what I wanted. Turns out they get so many standard typewriters they turn them away without question.

However, one lady at an antique shop out on U.S. Highway 177 said she had one of her own she wanted to sell that fit my description. She said she wants about $20 for it, and she'll have it at the store tomorrow. We'll see what happens.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you ever watch "Laura?" You should... I think you'd like it. Good luck with the typewriter.
~Katie

2:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home