Sunday, September 25, 2005

Business Planning

I've realized that my business has been expanding in phases.

The film kit was training. It was just me and my camera, learning how to use light and make people look good. I learned the fundamentals, and I went on to the next step.

The 20D and the 70-200mm, along with the first three months of business, were the first phase. This was a dangerous time because the slightest mistake could have derailed everything. It was during this time that I took my film knowledge and converted to digital imaging while trying to attract larger jobs and build my customer base.

And with the addition of the flash, the wide zoom, and my bag, I find myself in the second phase. This will hit me full force in one week, when I cover my first wedding.

You know how there's all this planning and preparation with weddings? Well, the family hasn't informed me of any of it other than the date, time, and location. I've scouted it as best I can, but the fact remains that unless they suddenly decide to clue me in (which I doubt will happen as they are very busy) I'm going to have precious little intel on the wedding. Essentially, I'm diving headfirst into murky water, once again, and I can't screw up, I can not fail.

Phase 3 is already in development, but my priority now is to pull in some more funds before I get that far.

I've also been working to manage risks I have in my business, namely my laptop. Since I started this business, every bit of image processing has been done on this one machine. I have no backup machines with the needed softare, just this one. This is a problem because it creates a single point of failure. That is, if my laptop stops, so does my business.

I have enough money in reserve to replace this computer if neccessary, and I have all the software I'd need on the new one ready to install, but I hope to keep that money in reserve. Hopefully, I can pull enough money together to build a new desktop digital-imaging system to do most of my work while using my laptop for fun stuff and fieldwork. Here's what I want:

1. Big CRT monitor, they show colors much more accurately than LCDs.
2. 1.5-2 GB RAM for RAM-hungry programs like photoshop and photomechanic.
3. 40-80 GB primary hard drive with redundant backup hard drives.
4. 2.5Ghz or more processor speed
5. At least 2 (two) USB 2.0 Card Readers for memory card ingestion

Ahh, that's all the planning I want to do tonight.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mela said...

I think you can pull it off, Logan. <3

Um...make sure you get DDRAM, which is made to run more things at once, rather than SDRAM. At least, all my gamer friends tell me that DDRAM is better. <3

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home