Thursday, August 04, 2005

The Abominable Human Spirit

In the book of Job, God and the Devil make a wager over the result of taking one man, Job, who has a great life and family and loves God, and taking all he has, to see if he'd renounce God. God kills Job's family and his livestock, knocks down his house, and covers him in painful, itchy, itchy boils. In the end, Satan loses because Job never curses the Lord, and Job suddenly winds up with twice he had at the beginning of the wager.

I'm starting to wonder if God and the Devil have been doing the same thing with me since last night. The breakdown:

-Went to bed around 10:30, 11:00 last night. Didn't fall asleep. Ever.

-Found dog feces in my footwear while getting ready for work this morning, even though I'd kept them in a closed, wooden box where we keep shoes in this house. Thus: someone picked up aforementioned puppy poo and placed it in my shoes.

-The cruise control in my Jeep stopped working

-I had to cover the County Commission meeting. The only newsworthy thing I got from it had already been covered by someone else. I didn't get to write a story.

-I tried to check in on two of my friends in Manhattan who said they wanted to hang with me today. I couldn't get ahold of either of them.

-The Stop-light switch in my Jeep broke, so when ever it's enabled my brake lights stay on, even if the key is out, draining the battery. Whenever it's disabled? I can't shift out of Park.

I'm going to stop there. Admittedly, it's not as bad as being covered in festering boils, but hey, it's only 2:45 in the afternoon right now.

***POSTSCRIPT***

Just to be clear, I'm not complaining. I've actually been in a very good mood today that hasn't changed, ever. It's kinda disturbing, to tell you the truth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home