Thursday, March 31, 2005

Thursday, March 31, 2005 (I couldn't think up a title)

So I stepped out of my bedroom this morning to go to work, and stopped dead in my tracks. The door to my roommates' bedroom was wide open, which is not all that strange. What was strange were the legs of whoever was sitting on the bed in front of the door.

Then I remembered: the girlfriend of one of my roommates is in town for a visit, and arrived overnight. Great.

I went to work, still feeling sick but not wanting to spend my day sequestered in my apartment, and accomplished a few things. Wrote Mr. Avers a letter, did some fun reading, and then could not help but be enveloped by the absolute barrage of news that occured as the media tried to squeeze every ounce of coverage the could get out of Terri Schiavo.

You know, by simply making her wishes public or documenting them privately, Terri could have prevented the media firestorm. Also, she could have kept her privacy, which was shattered by everyone involved.

In fact, we should all establish what we want to be done with us in such a situation. To lead by example, I'll do that now:

If any of the following apply...
-I am in a persistent vegative state
-I am comotose but you can't afford to keep me alive
-I am severely brain-damaged beyond hope of living a decent life
... then I have no problem with my family cutting my life support, in fact, I ask that they do so.

I have a will written, by the way. I haven't made it official with a lawyer yet, but it exists.

It's pretty simple. It just says:
-what I want done for my funeral (bury me in CG in a cheap casket, I'm talking pine box here people, it's not like I'm going to need lumbar support in the afterlife).

-what happens to my copyrighted creations (They are not to go into the public domain, but my family is authorized to license my intellectual property out to anyone they choose).

-who is to be given access to my stored digital data and physical files (close friends and family, and a few specified individuals, only).

There are a few other things, but they don't need to come out while I'm still alive.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

While we're on the subject, I'll go ahead and claim a few possessions:

-Since I carry the Jeep blood in the family, I will take Ol' Red under my guard.

-Your dresser is larger than mine so I will go ahead and claim that too.

-I've always liked your "100" man tent so I would like that as well.

This is a small list for now, but I'm sure I can come up with more.

Of course this is all in fun so while I am at it I would like to will "my" TV, couch, and XBOX to you, Logan.

Enjoy!:)

Drew

12:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone asked me today what I thought of the Terri Schaivo case (I know, I spelled her name wrong, I'm sure.) Anyhow, my comment was, "I have not been paying enough attention to the case to give any thoughts about weather or not they should have pulled the plug. The only lesson this case has taught me is to put all of my final wishes in writing." SO... with that in mind, I believe I'll be writing out an unoffical will this weekend. I don't have much, but everything I have would go to my parents and they would use their discresion to do whatever with it. Wait, that was it. I guess I don't have to do it now. Yay. Have a good weekend.
~Katie

4:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home