Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Prayers

I photographed this luminary last summer at the Relay for Life in Council Grove, KS. Posted by Hello


Greg Avers was my teacher for Driver's Education and American Studies (American History and English 3 combined).

I remember when he brought in a videotape on September 11, 2001 of cable news coverage of the attacks that he'd recorded while on his lunch break. I had heard about planes flying into the World Trade Center that morning, but thought nothing of it, thinking they meant Cessnas and the like.

It was then, as I watched the Pentagon burning, that I realized the true nature of what had transpired. And we talked about it for a little while, but I cannot remember what was said.

Mr. Avers is definitely one of the best teachers I ever had. He always talked about "the education game" that a lot of students play, where they just learn to consume and then regurgitate information without digesting it, without really learning what something means. And I respected him a great deal for it.

He had nothing but enthusiasm for his job, both in the classroom and on the gym court. One of the fondest high school memories every CGHS student I know is that of Mr. Avers' call for "a V, an I, a C..." at the homecoming pep rallies. How he'd raise his hands and guide the student body in the wave, and lead them in many chants that shook the gymnasium with absolute fervor.

It's teachers like him that make me feel pride in calling CGHS my alma mater.

Mr. Avers was diagnosed with cancer some time ago, and I was told by a family member today that the situation is not a good one. I ask that anyone who wishes to do so to join me in praying for him and his family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home