Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Thoughts on the Boulevard

I've seen several, ok, three or four, dear friends quote the song "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" by Green Day in the past week, and it's got me thinking.

Now, it could be that Billie Joe Armstrong's voice is just that endearing and melodic and everyone just happens to like it, but I know that they're all just feeling lonely.

It's a deep song that precariously across a narrow region that is surrounded by depressing overkill on one side and petty whining on the other. That's what all good songs about pain and sadness need to do.

Although it would be better if they didn't make the video so melodramatic, but I'm talking about the song here.

It's been one of the most often-downloaded songs on iTunes for the past two weeks, so I know a lot of people like it.

And they feel lonely.

And that's sad.

Not only because it keeps me from going on and on in a long emotional schpiel about what it means, but more importantly, because I can't do a damned thing about it.

I'm in Washington, D.C., 1200 miles away from almost all of my friends and family, and I hate being unable to help.

Thanks a lot, Green Day.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find Green Day saddening, too.

Although for entirely different reasons than you are talking about, I'm sure.

9:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You helped tonight. Thanks for the words of encouragement. ~Katie

1:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home