Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Kiwanians, Food Network chefs, and beer

It's 3:20 P.M., the time I used to get out of high school every day, you know, way back when.

I got a message, through my mom, the other day that the Kiwanis club back in my hometown wants me to speak to them when I get back about my experiences in the nation's capital.

And so I asked myself:

"Self! Do you want to talk to these people about your internship?"

Then, once I had finished stealing a bad joke from Emeril Lagasse, I thought over the following:

1. I've been wanting to talk to CG people about what I'm doing here.
2. Kiwanis chartered the Boy Scout Troop (good ole' 65) I have been a part of for 8 years.
3. When I graduated High School, only one entity on the face of the earth considered me worthy of a scholarship: Council Grove Kiwanis. $500. An honor and a kindness I have not forgotten.

So, it was a very, very easy decision. My people will get with their people, their people will get with my people...

or they'll just call me with a time to show up at the Pizza Hut by the Neosho Riverwalk, and I'll give them a presentation to remember.

I'll just remember to bring a few kegs of beer. That'll make it memorable, all right.

Or, even better, it'll help them forget the whole thing, if neccessary.