Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Got Ethics?

I covered the Aggieville Business Association meeting today and now I'm paying for it.

The meeting started at noon at the Aggieville Pizza Hut and lasted half an hour, and then the trouble started. You see, at the end of each meeting (or so they say), the ABA has a drawing of all the member businesses. There is a prize that is then given to the represtentative of that business as a reward for coming, it's for the person, not the business.

As luck would have it, they drew "Student Publications," the company that creates the Royal Purple, the Campus phone book, and of course, the Collegian. I kept quiet, but a few guys in the back started saying that since I was there reporting for the Collegian, I should get it. I know they meant well, but I did NOT want the prize.

I started saying I wasn't sure I should get it; that I was a reporter, not a business representative. They wouldn't have it, and despite continued efforts to get them to take no for an answer, they made me take the prize. I did, however, tell them I'd have to check this out with my editor and would likely have to return it.

Keep this in mind, I did not want the prize, ever. It's too much of a headache.

So I took it back to my editors. First there was my immeadiate superior, Annette, who deferred me to the Editor in Chief, Matt. He is conferring with other persons and should get me an answer tomorrow.

You see, had it been a gift, I would have refused it outright. The Collegian policy is clear on things like that. But this was a prize awarded by sheer luck, and they sounded like they'd be insulted if I didn't accept it.

I'm not sure what I'll wind up being told to do, but right now my guess is that it'll go to charity, which suits me fine. If anyone knows a serious charity (and none of the "buy me some beer" jokes, please) that could use the prize, please let me know.

By the way, if you're wondering where I said what the prize was, I didn't. I don't want the value of the prize to come into play in anyone's judgement of the situation. Once you've done that, read further.


...


...


...

Made your decision?

It's $50 in Aggiedollars, that is, 10 $5 tokens good at any Aggieville business.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Big Brothers, Big Sisters... Boys and Girls Club... those would be my top two recommendations.
~Katie

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home