Monday, April 25, 2005

My time with Mickey

When I was in the fifth grade, I found a wounded juvenile hawk in a street gutter, thrashing about and bleeding from a hole in his wing that looked as if someone had shot him with a BB gun or nicked him with a shotgun round.

I scooped him into a paper bag and took him to my parents. They gave me a ride out to the veterinarian, and they took the bird and told me they'd contact someone who takes care of such cases. I never found out what happened with that bird, and I assume it wasn't a fairy tale ending.

I was reminded of that day last night when I was called to the stairs and told to bring a jar. You see, my brother spotted a mouse in our home a few days ago and we've been on mouse alert ever since. Turns out my mother had cornered one on the stairs and needed me to come and capture him.

Here's the tresspasser, awaiting his deportation and exile.
Posted by Hello


I took him downstairs, and took some pictures for this blog. Since it was late, and I was tired, I didn't feel very creative and started calling him "Mickey."

I talked to a few friends online, and was then ordered to get the mouse outta the house, and a few blocks away on top of that.

I put on my coat and started walking, jar in hand, towards a large open, grassy area in Council Grove that's two blocks from my house that's home to a cemetery and a golf course. I walked up to the grass and set the jar, gently, on it's side, to let him out.

Only he didn't want out. He clung to the jar and I had to gently shake him out. He landed on the soft grass and stayed put, staring at me. I tried to motivate into leaving by nudging him with my shoe, and he climbed on board and clung on for dear life.

I swear he was squeaking "take me with you."

After about ten steps, or once I'd crossed the street, he jumped off. I looked at him, then walked on. a few steps later stopped, and looked back. He was still behind me, following me.

I literally told him no, he couldn't go with me, and started walking while looking back at him. He broke off and ran up to a nearby house, his new home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home