Friday, February 04, 2005

I remember Tony Hernandez

I remember hearing last week that a helicopter had crashed in Iraq, taking the lives of 30 marines with it.

45 minutes before we left to cover the inauguration, I found out that one of them was Lance Corporal Tony Hernandez, 22. He went to my high school, and left after his junior year for Texas. My memory is weak, but I'm going to do my best here. Correct me if I make a mistake.

I was a freshman in high school when I knew Tony, it's been almost five years since I've heard from him at all.

He was brilliant at acting, and did forensics. I never really did anything with him, since I was an extemporaneous speaker and all, I mostly did stuff that was utterly boring compared to stuff like Improvised Duet Acting and Solo Humorous that he did.

I remember one meet when I had taken a large tape recorder along with me with a copy of Macy Gray's "I try" on it, it was the teams unofficial fight song or something. Long story.

Tony, and a few other kids, had gotten ahold of it. They did their own little concert on it, with rather funny, albeit innapropriate lyrics. Then they just started making fun of everything on it, myself included.

I think the tape got destroyed at some point in history, or recorded over, but I don't really know. I'll have to look for it when I get home.

Last night, I watched ER with Kate in the girls apartment, 3 floors up from the guys. After it ended, I left their place and headed for the elevator. As I pushed the "down" button, I saw someone standing at the end of the hall out of the corner of my eye, and I believe he was smiling. When I looked in his direction, he disappeared.

It could've been real, it could've been my imagination. I don't know, don't want to.

What I do know is that Tony Hernandez was a good man, a funny guy, and I will miss him.

May he live forever, and rest in peace.


Tony, thank you for your sacrifice, your smile, and the mark you left upon this earth.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a wonderful story - May God BLess Tony and his family - Mom

4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Logan how nice of you to comment and how
like you to remember the good in everyone of
us. I am sure you were a good friend to
Tony. Nana

9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home