Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Another typewriter

This is sort of old news, but I bought another typewriter last week.

It was at this place just outside of Manhattan, Grandma's Old Trunk, I think. I go by there every month or so to see if they have anything new. This time, I got lucky.

It was buried deep inside a bunch of shelves, I almost missed it entirely. I saw the carriage poking out from some other junk and reached in. It was a heavy SOB and it took a bit of work to get it loose.

I had found a wide carriage 4-Row Royal Typewriter that I would later learn was made in 1955 (Just past halfway for a typewriter to be considered an antique). This thing was meant for one thing and one thing only: writing. The actions were all smooth and easy to run, but moving it is like trying to carry a human torso around.

It's still pretty dirty, it's going to take a while to clean all the bits of what looks like the stuff that comes from the ass end of a combine. But I got it for $10, and it types like a dream. I'll post pics when I have them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home