Saturday, August 20, 2005

Reminiscensce

Jessie Bonner paid me a visit last night. You might remember her as my friend and colleague from my internship in Washington.

Jessie emailed me a few nights ago and inquired if she could borrow my couch for the night on her trip from her old home in Idaho to her new job at the Naples Daily News in Florida. I called her back that night and did her one better, she could stay in the guest bedroom of my hospitality-icous cousin and her family, with whom I am living here in Manhattan.

She got into town last night around 9, I guided her in via wireless phone to the house, and we spent a couple hours talking, sharing pictures, and remembering the time we shared together that ended 4 months ago.

One of the most interesting parts of that conversation was when we talked about where the six of us have been going since mid-April.

Joe graduated and is looking for work. He's in a tight spot on that, and I hope some good employer finds him soon.

Glenn went back to the Phillipines and is working for a Japan-based news service.

Kate was the summer Editor-in-Chief at the Iowa State Daily, and is a managing editor there this fall (I think).

Lauren discovered she didn't want to be reporter, but a teacher. I hope to call her Dr. Rivera someday.

Jessie had a fellowship in St. Petersburg with the Poynter Institute, and now she's going back to the sauna state for a full-time, true-blue job as a reporter. Jessie left at about 10:00 this morning after I treated her to breakfast at Early Edition and showed her a few things around Manhattan. Like an idiot, I forgot to get a picture of us for posterity's sake.

Me, I went back to Kansas and got a job covering County Commission in a place I don't live in and doing other things for the Manhattan Mercury while I started my photography business. The County thing ended Thursday when I covered my last meeting, and I immeadietly jumped ship to the Collegian. I'm a staff writer there now and I'm taking over the business beat.

Here's my first big report, by the way: http://kstatecollegian.com/article.php?a=6494

This blog is still called "It's Good To Be In D.C." because that's how it is best known, but it needed a change to the sub-headline.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally saw you today as we were marching to the field. I actually saw your brother first, and then I looked back and saw you! Good times. I'm so happy band camp is over.... my feet are killing me! Anyhow, hope you enjoyed the little show. :) ~Katie

7:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As much as I love the fact that I grew up in Kansas, I am not so sure I agree with your sub-headline...but then, maybe I'm just bitter about the fact that I am being forced by circumstances to return, rather than doing so of my own free will...

4:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home