Monday, July 04, 2005

Generation Gap: Two decades of Canon innovation

On the left, my Canon AE-1 Program. This camera started selling in the 1970s, mine was originally purchased in 1983. Attached is it's Albinar (3rd party manufacturer) 80-200MM f/3.9 zoom lens.

On the right is my Canon 20D, introduced in Fall of 2004 and purchased by me a few weeks ago. Attached is its 70-200MM f/2.8L USM lens w/o its hood. Posted by Picasa


Strange observation: The 20D and lens are much, much heavier than the AE-1P and its lens, but the 20D is much easier to hold for long periods of time. I can't stand to use the AE-1 for long, but I held the 20D up for more than 2 hours for a baseball game and didn't have any arm pain the next morning. This is partly due to the fact that Canon discovered the importance of ergonomics after they built the AE-1P but before they made the 20D.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home