Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Baseball!

I "covered" my little brother's baseball game last night with my 20D and fresh out-of-the-box 70-200MM 2.8L. Simply put, I dived headfirst into sports photography and, miraculously, I survived. I posted almost 80 of the 685 images I shot last night to my photoshelter account and will distribute the address to parents of the kids. I also posted my best five to AIW.

That's right, 685 pictures. I filled my 2GB card.

Shooting was fun, and I must admit I liked the reactions I got with my huge (to their eyes) lens. Some photographers call it a pet peeve, but I had no problem answering their questions about shots. It was also great when one kid recognized me for my work with fireworks and said how much he loved it.

Oh, and did I mention how much I love my new lens? First off, it is solid. I could knock you out with it and then photograph you getting loaded into an ambulance.

Second, it's fast on two accounts: It's got a wide maximum aperture, so lots of light gets in and I could shoot at ISO 200 most of the night. And it focuses faster than it takes me to realize it's focusing. It has the Canon USM motor which actually uses utrasonic waves that we can't hear to turn the focusing elements, which make it quick as the devil but totally silent. At least, silent to me. Some animals that hear in the Ultrasonic range are known to react to it when used.

When I got home, I put my card into its drive and loaded the 2 GB in under 4 minutes, God bless the guy who thought of making a 32-bit PCMCIA CF reader.

It took twelve minutes to back that data up on my iPod.

I went through the pictures with a demo of PhotoMechanic I got with my Lexar Card, selected 77 good ones, and told my computer to upload them to photoshelter. Then I went to bed, and when I came back down this morning, they had loaded.

I can't wait until the next game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home