Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Liars, Guns, and... Send me money

Well, today was lots of fun, I covered the introduction of a bill to outlaw .50 Caliber Sniper Rifles.

And the only completely honest person I spoke to today was a spokesman for the White House who told me what the President's position on the bill was.

Which means he just quoted the president. That's it.

Everyone else tried to bullsh*t me at some point, some were semi-accidental, others ignorant, and some outright dastardly.

But I won't get into that.

What I will say is that it was a great deal of fun, and I got to check out one such weapon, an AR-50 worth $3,000. When ArmaLite sells one of these babies, they actually include earplugs.

And Tylenol.

Depending on who you ask, these things can pierce:

A) inch-thick steel at a mile's distance.

B) half-inch steel at 2 kilometers.

C) that semi-edible thing the lunchladies at my old high school cafeteria called a "hot pocket" from point-blank range.

To be truthful, I doubt an M1A1 Abrams tank's 120MM smoothbore cannon could take out that last one.

Also, I must say I'm very proud of the story I just put out on the wire, I tried my darn-tootin-est to be objective and all, and I think I did a pretty good job of making a story that most people will enjoy and walk away better-informed.

And I'm glad I don't have to eat a hot pocket tomorrow.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmm... Hot Pockets! That sounds really good right now.
Katie

8:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Talking about hot pockets...
You'll be glad to know that they are actually on the menu for tomorrow at school.
http://www.cgrove417.org/cghs/teach.html
(I'm glad I got open lunch passed!)
Drew

11:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You guys have open lunch?!

Way to take the initiative. Or at least be liked by the teachers, maybe?

Anyhow, good job Drew!

Jocelyn

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home